Setting spreadshop as home page in Wordpress

You´re welcome!

1 Like

Oh, I am sorry to bother again. I forgot to ask:

You said that WP plugin will be refreshed soon and other CMS in Q2.

What will be the updates in those plugins? (curious) :slight_smile:

There´s going to be an official communication when we have released the WP-Plugin Update (pretty soonish)
For WordPress we’ll improve the compatibility with the latest WP version, increased stability and re-worked dashboard.
After that we will update our other CMS plugins, like the one for Joomla.
That is in scope for Q2. We also have a couple of other ideas, but we want to start with the basic improvements.

1 Like

This is rather simple.

Make a new Page and name it like you want.
Open the Code-Tab instead of the WYSIWYG in Editor and copy & paste the Javascript code from yout Spreadshop there. Save the page.

Go to Settings and select this page as the start page.

That’s it.

Just a small addition from my side, as I talked about with the developer team today about future options and why they choose to offer it as it is.

Answer:
It is actively intended to not have a language switcher in embedded shops because of two main reasons.

• when running a shop under a *nl / *de / *co.uk domain, customers expect to experience the site in their corresponding language. We want to prevent that people run a *.com domain and include a german shop for example.
  • The “secret” and offered workaround for your use case was exactly to the one you have built.
    Means: it is intented that shop owners maintain subdomains/one page for each language and include the shop once per offered language.
  • Alternative solution would be to offer one top level domain for each locale. This would be the most user friendly solution- People tend to browse to a TLD locale they know, instead of browsing on a foreign TLD and searching for their respective language.

I hope this helped to answer a bit the “why” behind this solution. :slight_smile:

Not exactly, as my english is limited.

Do I understand correct that they want shopowners to serve only customers from their own country? I have a .nl domain, so they don’t want me to serve customers from Germany for example. I don’t see .com as a specific country domain, but as an international domain. Same for .eu.

Or do they want me to reserve more domains (.de, .fr, etc etc) if I want to serve other countries, which is quite expensive including the hosting.

Not sure if my reading of your answer is correct. You gave answer to the “why”, but I don’t understand the reasons behind them. It only costs more money.

As I said, I am returning to Joomla on a .nl domain and the only choice I have is to set the Locale to EU, so language in English. From what I understand is that your team actually don’t want me to do that, as it is not in Dutch.

P.s. I appreciate it that you talked about it in your team. :+1:

No, no! You are free to do as u like :smiley: Don´t get me wrong.They are not actively “wanting shopowners to serve only customers from their own country”
Think the customer centric approach.

No need to reserve more domains. iT is just a theoretic thought and your solution is absolutely correct. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ohh fortunatelly! haha

Well… there’s one part of your explaination I do understand… customers feel more comfortable shopping on their country’s domain. (same for me)

However, we have to make choices here. Not spending too much money and international serving. Maybe another good solution is… run my shop on a .com domain and hosting and order just other country’s domains (.de/ .fr/ .co.uk etc) to forward to the .com. (no need for hosting for that) Maybe that’s a safe and affordable solution for me. Have a nice weekend folks! :wink:

You know that there is an automated way to redirect customers based on their e.g. browser language, right? Despite of a domain or similar, e.g. redirect to a specific page. There are also different ways switching the language of the spreadshop.
Another way is your html approach, add a language selection yourself maybe. Like here: https://www.spreadshirt.com/forum/t/country-dropdown-bar/1422/14?u=lovetee

I did not follow this thread :100:%, but maybe this helps.

P.s. Please tell me what’s your preferred solution :slight_smile:

I wish I had your skills. A little too much abacadabra for me hahaha

Any ideas for a Joomla website?

• One Domain, multiple shops?
    Yes?

• Should the shop be on the same page or could it be different pages?

One domain, multiple languages for 1 shop. Landingpage will be newspage, second menu item will be spreadshop. Multiple pages would be okay, if its possible by dropdown menu. Would it be possible if I scroll over menu button of the shop and multiple countries occur to select??

Whats your spreadshop shop url?

shop.spreadshirt.nl/rockbiker

My HTML is www.rock-biker.nl , but that will be changed to Joomla www.rock-biker.com

I hope that’s your goal:

The HTML codes I used. As you might see, it’s the same code, you already used in your html files.

EN-GB

<div id="myShop">
    <a href="https://shop.spreadshirt.nl/rockbiker">rockbiker</a>
</div>

<script>
    var spread_shop_config = {
        shopName: 'rockbiker',
        locale: 'en_GB',
        prefix: 'https://shop.spreadshirt.nl',
        baseId: 'myShop'
    };
</script>

<script type="text/javascript"
        src="https://shop.spreadshirt.nl/shopfiles/shopclient/shopclient.nocache.js">
</script>

NL

<div id="myShop">
    <a href="https://shop.spreadshirt.nl/rockbiker">rockbiker</a>
</div>

<script>
    var spread_shop_config = {
        shopName: 'rockbiker',
        locale: 'nl_NL',
        prefix: 'https://shop.spreadshirt.nl',
        baseId: 'myShop'
    };
</script>

<script type="text/javascript"
        src="https://shop.spreadshirt.nl/shopfiles/shopclient/shopclient.nocache.js">
</script>

That approach is a quite simple one, but you can improve it by using the multi-language capabilities of joomla.

Notes
During installation, you have the option to activate multi-language:

I did that and imported demo data, so I have a language selection on top of my demo-site:

So the customer can switch between languages “instead” of choosing it from the menu. But lastly it’s just a redirect…

If you enabled the multi-language setting, you can swtich the language in the editor and link the shop-article pages:

The most difficult thing here was to enable html/javascript code in the editors, that’s why I used JCE, which allows to use javascript-code by default by simply disabling it with that button:

But by enabling the editor again, the code may disappear, so if you want to have additional content on that page, please write it in the editor, then switch it off and paste the javascript code.

Depending on your experiences and knowledge, you could either create your own plugin or module or use another custom html plugin or module, which allows javascript.

Please let me know, if you need more details, or the video is too fast and so on :slight_smile:

P.s. to be honest, I’m more a Wordpress guy, so if here are some Joomla guys/gals, which can improve the steps above, feel free :wink:

Backlink: :spreadshop: Tipps und Tricks: Die besten Lifehacks

Cheers,
Thimo

4 Likes

Enable auto language selection based on browser language (Plugins -> Language Filter):

2 Likes

Holy sh… wow!!! Hahaha

All that effort at fridaynight! I have to study all this as soon as my Joomla is installed. Hopefully I manage.

Thank you for this… very very much!!! What do I owe you? hahah

2 Likes

Please never delete that video on YT! I will definatelly use it!!! Very happy with it! :sunglasses:

2 Likes