Werbekennzeichnung + Offenlegungserklärung

Hallo Leute,

nach einigen Jahren (3?) mal wieder hier. Und ihr wißt, nur hier wenn was massiv schief läuft, und das hat es schon ein paar mal und nun zum wiederholten male, in Folge.

Wie bereits allen seit der Umstellung von eigener Designpreis-Festlegung auf fremdbestimmte Provision bekannt sein dürfte, sind die Designerinnen keine Designerinnen und somit auch keine Künstlerinnen mehr. Dies ist relevant für das Finanzamt und Gewerbeamt. Dies führte dazu, dass Designerinnen kein Geld mehr mit Grafikdesign verdienen, sondern mit Produktmarketing. Damit ist der Status “Freiberuflerin” nicht mehr zutreffend. Die sogenannten Designerinnen sind keine solchen mehr, sondern nur noch (Marketing)-Partnerinnen (für Merchandise). Die Firma Spreadshirt zahlt eine Provision, wenn sie Designs verwendet, deren Höhe sie zudem selbst festlegt.

Wie nun bekannt wurde wird gesetzlich verlangt bei Marketing (Werbung) eine Werbekennzeichnung + Offenlegungserklärung zu verwenden. Dies ist ziemlich invasiv, weil beides direkt und auffällig platziert werden muss.

Es ist direkt neben den Links zu Produkten ein Hinweis anzubringen, zum Beispiel “provisionsbasiert”. Zudem auf Webpages mit Produktlinks ein Hinweis, zum Beispiel “Als Spreadshirt-Partner verdiene ich an Produkt-Verkäufen.”

Dies wäre nicht notwendig, wenn die Designer den Design-Preis selbstbestimmt selbst festlegen könnten und dieser plus weitere Einnahmen nicht als Provision gestaltet wären.

Die Partnerinnen (ehemals Designerinnen) verkaufen seit ein paar Jahren keine Designs und auch keine Produkte mehr, sondern machen nur noch für deren Verkauf Werbung. Weil dem so ist, wurde auch die Sache mit dem Affiliate eingeführt, also dass auch Drittpersonen Werbung für Produkte mit oder ohne Design machen können. Dabei auch der Hinweis, dass Partnerinnen selbst auch dieses Affiliate betreiben sollen, weil sie ja eh schon nichts weiter mehr als Affiliate (Werbung) machen.

Die ganz große Frage besteht im Bezug zu den Spreadshops. Bei diesen muss der “Anbieter” (Impressumspflicht) der Designer sein. Doch er ist nicht Inhaber der Firma Spreadshirt, sondern nur (Marketing)-Partner. Also müssten in den Spreadshops ebenso solche Hinweise angebracht werden. Dies wäre nicht notwendig, wenn es ein tatsächlich eigener Shop wäre. So ist es nur sowas wie ähnlich einer Landingpage, oder Userpage, oder Partnerpage der Firma Spreadshirt.

Spreadshirt hat es vollkommen übertrieben mit der Neoliberalisierung des Kapitalismus. Erst Designs von Designern geklaut, dann Designer vergrault und nun das.

Falls hier wer von Spreadshirt einen woke Kommentar abgeben will: Schreib ihn dir selbst, weil von mir wird er nicht gelesen, oder erst in ein paar Jahren.

@spread-zuzu I’ve read this post through Google Translate and now I’m curious about what Spreadshirt has to say about this. Since the rules for Germany and the Netherlands differ, I don’t think this effects me much, but I am of course curious if this is true, and if so then I would love to read the explanation from Spreadshirt…

Hallo zusammen,

wir versuchen hier mal so gut es geht Licht ins Dunkel zu bringen. Zunächst muss ich sagen, dass wir auf alle Fragen und Anmerkungen zum Status vor dem Finanzamt und dem Gewerbeamt nichts sagen dürfen, da dies einer Steuerberatung gleichkäme und uns dies als Firma gegenüber den Gesellschaftern gesetzlich strengstens untersagt ist. Unsere Empfehlung ist hier, insbesondere in dem oben genannten Fall, professionelle Hilfe in Form einer Steuerberatung in Anspruch zu nehmen. Gerade im Hinblick auf die hier getroffenen Aussagen empfehlen wir dies dringend.

Nun aber zu den Dingen, die wir durchaus kommentieren bzw. richtigstellen oder erklären können. Spreadshirt war schon immer der Verkäufer der Produkte, das war nie anders. Jedoch ist natürlich jeder Designerin weiterhin Inhaber*in der Designs und der Rechte an diesen, wir haben lediglich ein Nutzungsrecht, welches uns mit der Akzeptanz der AGB’s eingeräumt wird. Sobald ihr das nicht mehr wollt und die Designs von unserer Plattform nehmt, haben wir keinerlei Rechte mehr an diesen und nutzen sie auch nicht mehr. Spreadshirt hat noch nie ein Design gestohlen, wie behauptet wurde.

Zum Thema Werbekennzeichnung können wir sagen, dass wir als global agierendes Unternehmen selbstverständlich weltweit die rechtlichen Anforderungen an die Darstellung von Inhalten auf unserer Website beobachten und einhalten. Zum Thema Werbekennzeichnung aber noch eine kleine Ergänzung: Wenn Partner Shops auf ihren eigenen Websites einbinden, ist es natürlich deren Aufgabe, die gesetzlichen Vorgaben zur Werbekennzeichnung einzuhalten. Hier wird es zugegebenermaßen etwas komplizierter, da der Kontext in dem die Produkte präsentiert werden eine Rolle spielt bzw. entscheidend ist. So unterscheidet sich die Rechtslage beispielsweise stark zwischen einem Foodblog mit angeschlossenem Merch Shop und einer rein kommerziellen Webseite.

Wir hoffen die Antwort hilft einigen von Euch etwas weiter, auch wenn sie von der Autorin des Ursprungsposts nicht gelesen werden sollte.

Eine schöne Woche noch!

English version

Hello everyone,

We are trying to shed as much light as possible on the subject. First of all, I have to say that we are not allowed to answer any questions or comments about the status before the tax office and the trade office, as this would be tantamount to tax advice and, as a company, we are strictly prohibited by law from doing so vis-à-vis the shareholders. Our recommendation here, especially in the case mentioned above, is to seek professional help in the form of tax advice. We strongly recommend this, particularly in view of the statements made here.

But now to the things that we can comment on, correct or explain. Spreadshirt has always been the seller of the products, it’s never been any different. However, every designer is of course still the owner of the designs and the rights to them, we only have a right of use, which is granted to us with the acceptance of the terms and conditions. As soon as you no longer want this and remove the designs from our platform, we no longer have any rights to them and will no longer use them. Spreadshirt has never stolen a design, as has been claimed.

On the subject of advertising labelling, we can say that as a globally active company, we naturally observe and comply with the legal requirements for the presentation of content on our website worldwide. However, a small addition on the subject of advertising labelling: If partners integrate shops on their own websites, it is of course their responsibility to comply with the legal requirements for advertising labelling. Admittedly, this is where things get a little more complicated, as the context in which the products are presented plays a role or is decisive. For example, the legal situation differs greatly between a food blog with an associated merch shop and a purely commercial website.

We hope this answer helps some of you, even if the author of the original post doesn’t read it.

Have a nice week!

Hi @spread-zuzu,

I don’t feel as if the subject in bold (below) has been addressed. This I feel is an important issue that Melibee addresses and in your answer I don’t think you mention the change in the way designers are viewed. Because that change will have changed the way the law views ‘partner’ shops/designers. So I hope you can tell us anything about that change, that Spreadshirt seems to have caused by a change in the way it is operating.

As everyone probably knows since the transition from in-house design pricing to externally determined commission, the designers are no longer designers and therefore no longer artists. This is relevant for the tax authorities and the trade office. As a result, female designers no longer make money from graphic design but from product marketing. This means that the “freelancer” status no longer applies. The so-called designers are no longer so-called, but only (marketing) partners (for merchandise). The company Spreadshirt pays a commission when using designs, the amount of which it also determines itself.
(quote from Melibee)

I think this is up for debate as well. I recently addressed the fact that shops get less than 100% of their fee (for one product) when customers order larger amounts of products. Not paying designers anything beside a fee for only one product, when a customer buys more than one product definitely feels like Spreadshirt steals our fees. Products equal designs/fees, so how would you qualify not paying designers anything for the other products a customer buys in larger quantities?

And in addition to the above:

If shops/designers do two jobs (designing artwork that Spreadshirt profits off far more than the designer and also ‘working for Spreadshirt doing their advertising’) then I think it’s only right that Spreadshirt pays designers for doing that advertising. Because the way it’s set up now, being a designer on Spreadshirt is a really good deal for Spreadshirt and a really bad deal for the designers…

1 Like

Hi again, as we have mentioned the status “freelancer” is not simply determined by the designation on our website, it’s not that simple and way more factors play into that. Additionally it of course differs from country to country. We, again, advise you to seek professional help here, since it is not allowed that we give advice on any sort of tax topics here.

Additionally please note that most of the topics you are referring to are Spreadshop topics. This is the Marketplace Forum. On the Marketplace Spreadshirt takes over the advertising entirely (Google Ads, Paid Social Media etc.) this is our USP. For Spreadshop specific questions like this, please turn to the respective customer service colleagues.

Like I said, I don’t think this effects me and I did not ask for any advice. So I don’t care about your advice about professional help.

From what Melibee posted it seems that only Spreadshirt was responsible for the change that designers in Germany are now only viewed as ‘marketing partners’. To me this sounds like Spreadshirt found a beneficial loophole for itselfs that has a negative impact on the way German designers can operate. This is the issue I want you to address. Because if this is the case, it shows just how little appreciation Spreadshirt has for their designers. If a decision Spreadshirt makes turns ‘designers’ into ‘marketing partners’ then Spreadshirt might not be worthy of designs from the affected designers. Designers are not happy with the new commission model, so who would want to be just a ‘marketing partner’ for a company that they are not happy with?

And the other two issues I addressed are ignored completely? Because the issues are brought up “in the wrong place”? Seems like a poor excuse…

Hi @brandnewdesigns,

Your question is based on Melibee’s implied taxation status. Please understand that we cannot make a statement regarding this.
If by the change you mean the new commission model, you can find the changes explained in this post.
For other details regarding the taxation, please refer to our Terms & Conditions and our help pages.

The rules regarding discounts and promotions are also clearly explained on our website and in our Terms & Conditions.

To keep the discussion constructive, please open a new topic in the appropriate section of this forum, or the spreadshop forum.